Mr. Baxter writes:
"It sounds little to me like George's well known proclivity to talk
excessively might have contributed to his problem.  I would suspect that
he was under watch for more than Carnivore randomly picking him up.
After reading hundreds of his posts I would suspect there were more key
words that could be picked up that something as obscure as Kovachii.

This is the sort of  abuse that is allowed now that we have uninformed
environmentalists who think  they are saving the planet by cheering when
such evil doers as George are brought to justice and made to pay the price."

Pardon my ignorance, but I do not see how computer Surveillance software
created for a conservative, non-environmentalist administration, or how
overzealous enforcement of a flawed international agreement by agents of the
same
administration are somehow connected to environmentalists.  Perhaps you could
explain this.

I also wonder if there any environmentalists stupid enough to assume they are
"saving the planet by cheering...". The claims made by environmental groups,
and academic institutions regarding the effects of habitat degradation and
plant collection on species diversity are the result of carefully done and
well
funded studies (though there is a need for much more research, and certainly
more funding). They are very different from the disingenuous claims made by
the
right wing which are often based on funding by special interests, outmoded
religious paradigms, and a disregard for anything outside of their immediate
visual field.

I do not know Mr. Norris personally, but have seen in his postings on this
forum and in private e-mail to me, a disturbing mean spiritedness, misogyny,
and
xenophobia. Despite this I would agree that probation would be a better
punishment for his crime than a long prison term. If in fact the intentionally
misidentified plants in question were nursery propagated rather than freshly
collected, than his crime becomes one of convenience, and should be treated as
such.

Dennis Westler