Bert, thanks for clarifying your earlier comment "no orchid species is truly in danger of extinction". It is useful to know that this was based an urban legend rather than any properly conducted survey. Also good to know that you have no suggestions about how I could measure the "endangearedness" of a species.
You asked me if I'd agree with: "I might have put it that no orchid species is truly in danger of being rendered extinct by overcollection, even if its natural habitat is stripped, unless counterproductive restrictions such as CITES interfere with its artificial propagation. Would you agree, Peter?" Bert, this question reminds me of the trial lawyer who said to Joe Bloggs the defendant "do you always mug your victims before you snatch their bags, and is your name Joe Bloggs ? Give a simple yes or no answer to my question". I think you already know the answer to the first question, since I have, on several occasions, posted on OGD a list of species that have been rendered extinct by overcollection. In response to the premise that underlies your statement: I do not consider keeping orchids in greenhouses thousands of kilometers away from their natural habitats to be a viable method of long-term conservation, and a dubious method of short-term conservation. But you knew that before you asked, didn't you ? I think you are also only too aware that I consider CITES to be a highly necessary set of laws that need to be focused, clarified and strengthened in order to be really effective in countering the commercial-scale plant smuggling that is commonplace amongst some orchid-nursery operators (and others) in several parts of the world. I may have been less vocal on OGD recently, but I haven't changed my spots .... any of them. Finally, you said "If the damage to Norris was truly done by a computer traffic monitor, are any of us safe?". Bert, there is no such thing as safety in this world; it is an intrinsically dangerous place. Carnivore has just made it a lot more dangerous for everyone in the USA.... something that Saddam Hussain could never manage, no matter how President Bush twists the truth. I think George Orwell said it first: Big Brother is watching YOU. Cheers, Peter O'Byrne Singapore BTW .... if you want to tackle the problem of Carnivore (and I would, if I lived in the USA), can I suggest you modify one of Mahatma Gandhi's best ideas ? Persuade everyone you know to persuade everyone they know to take part. Get everyone to add Carnivore-sensitive keywords to every e-mail they send. Give the bloody program a severe case of indigestion. _______________________________________________ the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD) [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

