Viateur:
<> How do you define conservation?
Why do you think CITES is both a conservation and trade treaty?
What are the conservation aspects of CITES? <>
<>
<>The issue of whether CITES is a conservation or trade treaty has been 
pounded into the ground fairly thoroughly on the OGD. What I am 
interested in is people's perception of conservation. I am assuming that 
both you and Peter Crozan would call yourself conservationist yet you 
have a difference of opinion on CITES and seemingly on what constitutes 
conservation. <>Peter Crozan has voiced his opinion very clearly "CITES 
is a trade agreement; not a conservation treaty."
<>In a response to you, Peter points to Phrag. kovachii and says 
"Conservation???  Just two years ago we have seen the total depletion of 
Phragmipedium kovachii orchid habitats in Peru, a Party to CITES." What 
I think Peter is saying here (and I am sure he will correct me if I am 
wrong) is that if CITES were a conservation treaty then it did not save 
Phrag. kovachii and it failed in this instance. But since Peter thinks 
CITES is not a conservation treaty and only a trade treaty then this is 
not a failure of CITES.How do you see Phrag. kovachii event as being 
affected by CITES? <> 
<>
<>You cite a news article: http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=31876 and 
then at the end of your post you write: "Apparently, some people 
understand that CITES is both about conservation and trade..." I get the 
trade part as the main thrust of the article say that Thailand is happy 
because "export in orchids would grow several folds, as several more 
commercially valuable plants have been regulated for global trade." The 
use of "regulated" throughout the press release is used in the context 
of allowing more orchid trade. I looked for the reference to 
conservation in the press release, the closest I came was the use of the 
word safeguard in: "He said that each country had made a number of 
proposals either to safeguard some endangered species or to get them 
regulated for global trade." It doesn't say what these proposals were or 
if they passed, and what the safeguards are. You used safeguard in 
asking Peter a question earlier: "Are you opposed to measures that aim 
at safeguarding certain species from over-exploitation?"<>What do you 
mean by safeguards?
<>Why do you and the press release use the word safeguard instead of 
conserve or if you believe CITES is a conservation treaty why didn't you 
ask -Are you opposed to measures that aim at the conservation of certain 
species from over-exploitation? <> 
<>
<>Regards,
Mark Sullivan
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to