Cal, House Committee on Un-American Activities, et al.:

--------------------------------------------
>Steve, I wasn't aware that government incompetence and
> hassle was justification to break laws. (Cal)

>Wow, if that argument was a reasonable justification for
>avoiding prosecution, then what a field day lawyers would have.
(Stephen Kemp)
--------------------------------------------

Even though they are synonyms, there is a difference between 
explanation and justification. Justification is where one proves 
themselves to be right or absolve the action. Explanation is 
merely to make a matter understood, especially by offering 
reason for the action.

I am not now, nor did I ever attempt to absolve or ratify 
George's action. What I have done, however, is given an account 
of what he did, and his reason. Naturally, this was in the vain
hope to quell some of the banal condemnation which is hurled 
down by residents of the ivory tower.

He committed an offense of misconduct by not going through the
appropriate ritual to get the government's blessing on his 
plants. He did not commit the crime of smuggling illegal 
orchids, which most appear to understand him as having done so. 

Did he circumvent the law for his convenience? Yes.
Did he break any moral code? No.
Did he put anyone in danger? No.
Did he commit an unconscionable act? No.
Did he traffic in illegal merchandise? No.
Did he contribute to the corruption of society? No.

His action was closer to ripping the tag off a mattress, than
the villainy that many have made it out to be. I wouldn't be 
surprised if the wailing and gnashing of teeth was by those who 
believe the law defines what is right, rather than the right 
defines what is law.

>I thought that "government agencies" and "hassle and
>incompetence" amounted to tautology. (Kemp)

Sounds like seditious libel, and this is not an approved 
free-speech zone. 

Regards,
Steve
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids

Reply via email to