One thing I was wondering about regarding this orchid...if indeed it
needs fire to come back strong the next year, could this not be done
artificially?  If it's just a heat-related issue, could you train an
electric blowdryer on the surface of the soil for a few minutes (with
perhaps a temp gauge to make sure that you don't cook the soil too much)?
If it's related to the by-products of burning vegetation, could you
sink the pot into the ground, cover that patch of ground with hay and
then burn it?  If fire is truly an issue in the successful growth of
this plant, I wonder if we can't give it the fire (or warm temps) that
it needs.

---Prem
www.premdesign.com