On Nov 2004, at 7:00 AM, Peter O'Byrne wrote:
What you guys seem to be saying is that US copyright laws aren't enforced in the USA, but citizens of other countries are expected to obey them. Is that correct ????
Peter,
Apparently so.This is most interesting as I have not run into the problem you described during recent travels in Latin America or Europe, although indeed fair use notices are commonplace on or next to all photocopy machines at institutions and commercial vendors. Considering the complexity of copyright and other "intellectual property" laws in the U.S. and the proclivity of U.S. administrations to regard "free trade" as only pertinent to U.S. corporations selling abroad, I would not be at all surprised to find an enforcement hypocrisy in this issue. After all, recent and current administrations market warfare and its instruments while professing peace and justice.
As a professional librarian, maybe Harvey Brenneise has some clarification on copyright as affected by "free trade." In the meantime, I may inquire to the dean of our library on this double-standard.
Paul
_______________________________________________ the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD) [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

