Steve,

I'd be astonished if anyone had conducted an environmental-impact
survey on a plot of land in central Harlow. (Is anyone out there in a
position to astonish me on this ???). Land survey ... yes. Zoning
survey ... yes. Legal search ... yes. Flooding/drainage survey ...
yes. Search of old maps for gazetted footpaths .... probably (they're
learning, slowly). But environmental survey ... i doubt it.

While having a far from perfect environmental record, the various
local, regional and national authorities in UK do actually have a
history of sometimes intervening on behalf of wildlife-preservation
causes, especially where the media has kicked up enough fuss about
development endangering rare species. I remember one case where a road
was diverted because of a badgers' sett, and another where a road was
re-designed to provide hedgehog crossings (which didn't work !!).
There have been several cases where the presence of orchidsa resulted
in a site being designated an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific
Interest), thereby severely restricting what changes can be made at
the location. Whether the land is privately-owned or government-owned
makes no difference.

The article:

http://www.herts-essex-news.co.uk/star/news/story.asp?id=176555

is an attempt to halt the proposed development by a local group, using
the orchid as an excuse. In UK, the keys to success via this strategy
are (a) establishing rarity and (b) kicking up enough stink in the
media. (a) is already established since this is a protected species,
hence (b) ... articles in the local press.

if you're interested in other examples of local groups in
orchid-related action in UK, here is one:

http://www.hull.ac.uk/HBP/ActionPlan/BeeOrchid.htm

You said: "I will be interested to see how this goes down". I agree.
I'd say there is a 30-40% chance that the development will be
restricted because of the orchids, rising to above 50% if the
action-group manage to keep the pot boiling. If the species had been
rarer (eg, the fen orchid, Liparis loeselii) then the odds would have
shifted to very close to 100%.

BTW, I totally agree with your comment about clubbing together and
buying orchid-rich habitats ... I've been advocating this for years.

Regards from

Peter O'Byrne (Most Honorable )
Singapore