Dear Mike,

For Freud:

"In the form of memories, thought splinters, retained dream images,
associations of ideas and other mental states, the world of a person was
visualized in the setting and put into words that Freud, who was sitting
outside of the field of vision of his analysand, registered with evenly
suspended attention.  It was not the floral motifs in the waiting room and
not a bouquet of lilacs given as a present that constituted the object of
"psychoanalyic relations", but only the thought of floral motifs, of
bouquets of lilacs, of a morphologically unusual cattleya orchid (with which
Parcel Proust lets seductions occur in A la recherche du temps perdu)-- or
the heavy odor of cauliflower...

"... Freud wrote to Madame Doolittle on 20 December 1933 "Now as for your
flowers, it is true I admire orchids, especially some queer and atrociously
looking odorous ones like Stanhopea, but I like no flower better than the
frail and charming Gardenia.""

This is an extract on the botanical qualities of Freud, who dreamed of
writing a botanical monograph on his wife's favorite flowers.

For the full article: http://www.freud-museum.at/pdf/NL1_2001.pdf

As to Proust:

"He climbed after her into the carriage which she had kept waiting, and
ordered his own to follow.

She was holding in her hand a bunch of cattleyas, and Swann could see,
beneath the film of lace that covered her head, more of the same flowers
fastened o a swandown plume.  She was dressed, beneath her clak, in a
flowing gown of black velvet, caught up on one side to reveal a large
triangle of white silk skirt, and with a yoke, also of white silk, in the
cleft of the low necked bodice, in which were fastened a few more cattleyas.
She had scarcely recovered from the shock which the sight of Swann had given
her, when some obstacle made the horse start to one side.  They were thrown
forward in their seats; she utered a cry, and fell back quivering and
breathless.

"It's all right," he assured her, "dont be frightened." And he slipped his
arms around her shoulder, supporting her body against his own.  Then he went
on: "whatever you do, don't uter a word, just make a sign, yes or no, or
you'll be out of breath again.  You won't mind if I strighten the flowers on
your bodice?  The jolt has disarranged them.  I'm afraid of their dropping
out, so I'd just like to fasten them a little more securely."

She was not used to being made so much fuss of by men, and she smiled as she
answered: "No, not at all; I don't mind in the least."

But he, daunted a little y her answer, and also, herpaps, to bear ou the
prtence that he had been sincere in adopting the strategem, o even because
he was already beginning to believe that he had been, exclaimed, "No, no,
you musn't speak.  You'll get out of breath again.  You can easily answer in
signs; I shall understand.  Really and ruly now, you don't mind my doing
this?  Look, there's a little-- I think it must be pollen, spilt over your
dress.  Do you mind if I brush it off with my hand?  That's not too hard?
I'm not hurting you, am I?  Perhaps I am tickling you a bit?  I don't want
to touch the velvet in case I crease it.  But you see, I really had to
fasten the flowers; they would have fallen out if I hadn't.  Like that, now;
if I just tuck them a litle further down... Seriously, I'm not annoying you,
am I?  And if I just sniff them to see wether they've really got no scent?
I don't believe I ever smelt any before.  May I?  Tell the truth now."

Still smiling, she shrugged her shoulders ever so slightly, as who should
say, " You are quite mad; you know very well that I like it."..."

And so the seduction continues.

Isn't that just delicious?