At 4:38 PM +0000 12/21/04, K Barrett wrote:
As I understand it, Joanne, a very successful Paphiopedilum hybridizer at
Stewart Orchids, jumped on the back of her boyfriend's Harley Davidson one
day and hasn't been seen by the orchid community since. She was talented and
imaginative and we have missed her.

Andy Easton

One of the judges at the Pac Central told me much the same thing, and said that she hasn't done anything in the orchid world since moving to far northern Calif. A loss for sure because he says she did the first work in vinicolor paphs as well as some mastersianum crosses.


I understand her crosses would be registered under 'Stewart Orchids' but can you remember any of the ones she did? Just interested. Not going to write a book or anything with it.

My friend at the Pac Central also mentioned another Stewart hybridizer named Max Van Delden (I may have the name wrong, but its close). We weren't sure if Max had passed away or merely moved to Hawaii. (Odd way of phrasing that! *G*) Have any idea?

K, It is Rex Van Delden, I talked him when I was visiting Stewarts in the 70's nice guy did a lot of interesting hybridization for Stewarts. You are right last I heard he retired to Hawaii, since there is a Paph Memoria Rex Van Delden, I would guess he has passed away.


Tom Hillson


_______________________________________________ the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD) [email protected] http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to