Comfrey is a fantastic ingredient for compost. So don't dig it up! Put
the leaves (not the roots) on the pile. This may not help your
epiphytic orchids, but it'll sure the give your garden a boost. Maybe
your terrestrial orchids too (cymbidiums?), though I think someone
more knowledgeable in growing them should comment.

Here's a good article, if you're interested:

http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-21-726,00.html

Cheers

Sandy

--