In a recent posting a request was made for information on the use of natural
fertilizers. The following N-P-K information is approximate at best and
applies only to old, composted manure.

Chicken: 30-14-7
Cow: 10-3-8
Hog: 13-7-11
Horse: 15-5-13

Mixtures of the desired strength may be made by following the following
steps:
� Measure the small amount of composted manure necessary to produce
fertilizer of the desired strength.
1 tsp. per gal. (3.8 liters) is approximately equivalent to commercial
fertilizer mixed at 1/10 tsp. per gal. (3.8 liters).
2.5 tsp. per gal. (3.8 liters) is approximately equivalent to commercial
fertilizer mixed at 1/4 tsp. per gal. (3.8 liters).
5 tsp. per gal. (3.8 liters) is approximately equivalent to commercial
fertilizer mixed at 1/2 tsp. per gal. (3.8 liters).
� Mix the manure with at least 1 cup (236 ml) of water, and allow it to
steep overnight or longer.
� Strain the liquid, then add enough water to make 1 gal. (3.8 liters) of
fertilizer solution.

Rather than dink with small batches, I tend to buy a bag of chicken manure
and a bag of cow manure at the local garden store in late winter or early
spring, mix them together and put them in a burlap bag that is then tied off
(this is so you don't have to strain the mixture before use) and placed in a
30 gallon garbage can. Enough water is then added to cover the bag and to
almost fill the can. This concoction is left to stand until I start applying
fertilizer. I then dip out the desired amount of concentrate and mix with
water. For orchids, I usually use about a quarter cup per gallon. For garden
and bedding plants, I mix the manure tea at about 1 cup per gallon.

I hope this answers whatever questions you might have had.

Cheers,
Charlie 

 




_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to