Mark,
 
I don't know where that sentence after the part you quoted came from, but that must be your comment, as it's not mine.
 
I was basing my comments about air space on basic particle packing technology from my materials science background.
 
If you fill a room with basketballs or ping-pong balls, the free space between them is the same.  I'm not willing to do the math again, but it's about 1/3 open space if I recall correctly, and that's as good as it gets.  If we're trying to make a dense body, you then take smaller particles to fill in those free volumes, then smaller ones to fill in the ones they leave behind and so on. 
 
As we are obviously NOT trying to make a "dense body" out of our potting media, a uniformly-sized, spherical particle is the idea from a free air flow perspective, but has other problems that I addressed in my media comparison article.
 
As to enchasing capillarity, I think the opposite of what you stated is true:  If we assume a constant absorption capability by the media particles, capillarity occurs only at particle-to-particle contact points and their immediate vicinities.  Looking back at my particle size comment above, you can see that in that perfect, uniform sphere scenario, each particle is in contact with other particles at only eight points.  If I mix in other sizes, then the number of contact points, hence routes for capillarity flow to occur, is increased.  That is why my work with Semi-Hydroponic culture focused quite a bit on finding the right combination of shape to maximize free air space, and high moisture absorption of the medium to compensate.
 
I'm not sure what you're going after with the "capturing evaporation" comment, but it seems to me that getting humidity out of those free air spaces and back into the particles - if that happens to a major degree at all - is a surface area phenomenon, so again, smaller and/or a mix of particle sizes would have a greater surface are than my "perfect, uniformly-sized spheres, so would capture more.  I actually doubt that much of that is going on though, as the driving force to distribute those water molecules into the surrounding atmosphere is a lot greater than the affinity they might have with the media particles.
 
In the case of evaporation, the better the capillarity, the wetter more of the surface area of the medium will be, and there will be more evaporation.  However, if the free air volume between particles is reduced, then the "evaporation sites" lower in the pot do not communicate as well with the surface, so the rate of evaporation will be decreased - it's a balancing act.

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids - www.firstrays.com
Plants, Supplies, Artwork, Books and Lots of Free Info!
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 11:59 PM
Subject: [OGD] Re: Particle properties of a potting mix

Upon re-reading this part of my statement, it is to general of a statement. I was think about small perlite.

Though on a quick read of Ray’s Semi-Hydroponics Basic he writes “The
medium is another key component of the culture technique; it must be
inert so it won't decompose, fairly uniform in particle size so it
provides lots of free air space, and must provide good capillary
(wicking) action to keep it uniformly moist. “
I would say the uniform particle size helps in providing good capillary
(wicking) action and capturing evaporation not free airspace.

A better statement would have been to say uniform *small* particle size helps in providing good capillary (wicking) action and capturing evaporation not free airspace. The larger the uniform particle size the less capillary (wicking) action and the more free airspace. There other particle properties that come into play in wicking: Think a pot of soil or peat with the bottom in water, then think a pot of marbles with the bottom in water.

Mark Sullivan
 




_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to