Re:

Friends,

I am sure this has been discussed before, but we are reaching a compost

crisis at RBG and I would appreciate some further discussion or private

notes if that is preferred. What is the general conclusion about coconut

bark, course and fine?? Are there particular genera that will not tolerate

it. Im interested in using it straight or in mixes. Any commentary usefull

and appreciated.

Jim Brasch ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Orchid coordinator

Royal botanical Gardens

Burlington, Canada

 

I have had excellent results using mixes of coir and CHC with sponge rock and/or small bark with phals, paphs, oda, colm, cyms, etc. There's an excellent article regarding paphs and phrags at http://ladyslipper.com/coco3.htm It's well worth reading if you're even thinking about switching over to a different medium. Of course, as with all media, it will take a little experimenting to adjust the mix to your method of growing and watering. But as shown in the article, the influence on paph root formation is nothing short of phenomenal.

Gary

_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to