I am not aware of any toxic chemicals in Anonna glabra (Pond Apple) but do know that D. lindenii is very particular about its growing conditions, ie; 3-5 feet above the high water mark in semi shady locations in the Everglades on the trunks of Pond Apples. I suspect that the texture of the bark has something to do with their success as well as the constant humidity so close to the water. The one that I saw in the Fakahatchee was also covered with moss and lichens around its roots but not blocking the light from the photosynthetic roots.
Paul LeBlanc
 
-------------- Original message --------------

> The February/March 2005 issue of National Wildlife (National Wildlife
> Federation) Wolrd Edition has an article about south Florid's orchids. The
> article is entitled "Delicate Affair", pgs 35 - 43. It states that the Ghost
> Orchid, Dendrophylax lindenii, grows on pond apple trees and that if a limb
> with the plant is cut from the tree, the dead wood will release chemicals
> that kill the plant.
>
> My question - does the living limb give anything to the plant other than
> some structural support? I have a couple of seed grown D. lindenii that I
> purchased. The linger on but not really making much progress. Any ideas?
>
> Jim Pyrzynski
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
> [email protected]
> http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to