Harvey who asked:

>I am wondering if anyone knows if this fungus is only needed for germination
>or whether its presence in the substrate is also necessary for successful
>culture of adult plants.

The short answer is that fungi are there for both. The fungi are  usually present in the
substrate; if not, they will get there very soon and form that symbiotic relationship with
the seeds and the seedlings, even if the substrate is in pots; in an orchid room; inside
your home.

Many growers enrich their favorite Cypripedium  substrate with soils (peat) taken from
the natural habitat of the species, hoping to bring in with that soil the fungus symbiotic
with the species.

The roots of mature Cypripedium are usually heavily colonized by symbiotic
fungi compared to the roots of many other orchid genera. I have examined Cypripedium
root cells in Spring, Summer and Fall and found that more often than not they contain
an abundance of cells containing  partly "consumed" pelotons, but rarely live pelotons
in newly infected cells, possibly indicating that over the period of one year the fungus is
active within a very small window. Whether that is in the fall or spring, I do not know.

What is important to note is that Cypripediums at a given time(s) in the year do use orchid
mycorrhiza as their nutrient source.

I hope this helps,
Peter