Harvey, you mentioned seeing an article about clay-jar coolers
National Geographic.

I can confirm that they do exist, and that they do work. At the start
of my career I was living in the Sahel region of northern Nigeria. We
had a scant and irregular electricity supply ... maybe 3-4 hours in
the evening, 2-3 times a week if we were lucky. Like everyone else in
the town, we kept our drinking water in large unglazed fired-clay
jars, situated in a breezy but shady spot at the back of the house.
The jars cooled the water by several degrees centigrade ... the
breezier, the better.

When I moved to Southern Africa, I met old-timers who remembered using
the same principle to construct "bush fridges" to store meat they'd
shot on hunting trips. Their system involved building a temporary
structure with one wall made out of loosely-packed porous material
(located on the up-wind side) and the other 3 walls made out of rocks
and close-mesh chicken-wire. The up-wind side was kept saturated with
water, and the air passing through was cooled sufficiently to delay
the onset of decay in the meat. I have no idea what temp-drop they
achieved; they used to tell (tall ??) stories about their meat
freezing solid (actually, the best stories involved parts of the
anatomy freezing solid), but when I got some of my schoolkids to test
this for a science project, the best cooling we could achieve was only
a few degrees centigrade.

What's this got to do with orchids ? Well, unless I've totally
misunderstood the science, evaporative-coolers work on the same
principle, and are quite commonly used to cool greenhouses in parts of
the USA. I also know a man who has built himself a small evap-cooled
wall, and is growing high-altitude Phalaenopsis on it. The porous
material he is currently using (after trying and discarding several
other materials) is the stiff plastic-mesh stuff that you use as a
scouring pad for scrubbing pots and pans in the kitchen. He got a
whole load of reject pads from the factory that makes them.... all it
cost him was the transport.

Cheers,

Peter O'Byrne
in Singapore

_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to