>From: Merrill Speeter
>
>The publications of Rotor mentioned  earlier are really remarkable. One
>reported growing phals very wet, in water or watering evey day for best
>blooming. Anyone using such conditions? Rotor grew in osmunda.
>
>                                     Merrill Speeter
>

Thank you for reading them.  Sometimes I put info online and wonder if 
anyone's out there reading it.  Its nice to have feed back.

I was impressed by the article you mention, too.  I was reminded of the 
method of growing orchids in a semi-hydroponic method - often called 
'Semi-hydro' or s/h - more information can be found on Ray Barkalow's 
webpage http://www.firstraysorchids.com  (Or maybe its firstrays.com...I'm 
recalling from memory)

Anyway.  I was intrigued by his comment that the orchids grown standing in 
water had their roots grow down into the medium wheras all other methods had 
roots growing in air.

I agree that the choice of medium is the key.  Rotor grew in osmunda, I 
assume becasue that was the medium of choice in 1951,  however I'll bet one 
could substitute with other more durable mediums available today, like LECA, 
or coir.

I love this stuff.  Meaning finding old publications that hold information 
that people online seem to be searching for but can't find. To me it 
elevates the conversation above the mundane 'how to' of beginning orchid 
growing.  (That sounds snotty but I don't mean it thatway)  I also like 
seeing how these old research articles interdigitate with more recent work, 
such as Dr Wang's research on Phals.  (His work is available online by going 
to his site at Texas A&M or just googling on Yin-Tung Wang.)  In science one 
truly does stand on the shoulders of giants.

For those interested in the Rotor articles please check 'Suggested reading' 
at http://www.geocities.com/brassia.geo/OSTA.html on the OrchidSafari 
archives.

K Barrett
N Calif, USA

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/


_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to