Thanks to all of you who have responded.  Peter, I've used evaporative 
coolers before (in Michigan, of all places) but I doubt they would reduce 
the ambient temperature enough to really make a success of growing any of 
the cooler plants.  My hypothesis is that by moving the evaporation to the 
roots, I can have a greater impact.  We'll see, I guess. 

Thanks for the suggestion on water.  I'll follow up.  I lived right across 
from the water treatment plant in East Lansing--should have thought of that. 
I suspect I'll go back to using RO, as I did in MI (hard ground water). 

I know that growers in the L.A. area in the past, anyway, had issues with 
bad air quality.  I'll have to check in with Norman Fang (whose business is 
in the next town to where I'm working--uh oh, temptation ahead) on what the 
current status of that is.  If I live in the mountains above any smog, it 
won't be an issue.  However, I'm also aware that Southern CA has made 
tremendous strides in recent years on this issue, and would be curious to 
know if air quality is still a problem for orchids there.  Comments from 
anyone on the ground, so so speak? 

Most of my orchids are still in MI, in fact, (thank you Rob Halgren)!  I 
will probably leave some of them there permanently.  If I can find a place 
with a basement (either old construction or hillside home), I suspect a lot 
more would be possible.  Even in the hottest summers in MI, I don't think 
the temperature ever went over 80 down there, if that.  And that was with 
the lights on.  Maybe run the lights at night, as in desert climates it's 
quite a bit cooler then. 

As for disas, I'm observing that they seem to do best with their feet in 
water 24 x 7.  I'm thinking that planting them in clay pots, placed in a 
tray of water.  Of course for orchids that don't want to be that wet, the 
two pot idea might work well.  We'll see. 

As for relearning, you're right.  I've gone from MI greenhouse to MI under 
lights (I grew really great phals down there, if I must say so myself: they 
are all now dead 8-( ) to Seattle greenhouse.  The joys of learning!  But 
the more I learn about the principles, the more I can apply them in a 
variety of environments and come up with some "best practices." 

I've grown phals fairly wet, trying a variety of methods.  I think horse 
manure was best with a "mud mix" almost as good.  But I found that watering 
them every day was too much.  I found that those growing under lights were 
the ones that were more likely to grow air roots and in the greenhouse they 
went down.  Go figure! 

As for Google, interlibrary loan doesn't discriminate on the basis of age or 
whether they are copyrighted or not (I should know, I'm a librarian that has 
managed that service).  However, many of the rarer items may not be 
circulated for that reason. 

As for disassembling the books, I haven't looked at their method in detail, 
and I know that in the past "disbinding" the books was a practice used on 
materials that are not particularly rare and that a library was willing to 
"sacrifice" (think old National Geographics!)  Many libraries have resisted 
this, and certainly wouldn't allow it for anything even approaching rare.  
One exception to that is the University of Michigan, which in its American 
Memory project did exactly that.  However, I'm sure they also checked to 
make sure that other libraries had copies.  It was and is controversial. 

I am quite confident that neither Harvard nor Oxford would allow it, and am 
doubtful that Stanford or NY Public would either.  I recall seeing a picture 
of a machine that could open the book and scan both sides of a page without 
any damage to the book at all.  I'll check on it. 

As for what they scan first, my understanding is that 4 of the 5 libraries 
will ONLY allow them to scan the out-of-copyright.  Only UM is scanning it 
all.  It will be interesting to watch progress on the project. 

As luck would have it, this morning the Seattle Times had an article about 
Amazon's plans to sell pages/chapters from books that it has electronic full 
text for.  It's kind of like iTunes for music--buy songs rather than albums, 
and it's called Amazon Pages.  At present, Amazon has online full text of 
half of the books it sells which it has called "Search inside the book."  
Customers can pay a few cents per page, and if they like the book enough can 
then upgrade to a full electronic or print copy.  Random House is also going 
to initiate pay-per-page. 

The article also states: "On Thursday, the company [Google] launched a 
related initiative in which it makes the text of out-of-copyright books 
searchable." Icones--ask and ye shall receive!  <g>  Exciting times, indeed. 
I suspect pay-per-page might be quite attractive to orchidists, given that I 
believe many times we're just looking for a fact or a picture here and 
there. 

The link, for those interested is Full story:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002602993_amazon04 
.html .  Obviously for Seattle it's a local story. 

Signing off,
Harvey in a still wet Seattle 




_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to