Hi Leo, Paul, and Diane;
I would like to also add that there is diversity within the orchid genera.
For instance, you mentioned that you wanted to grow Vandas in the Upper Mid
West. You can grow the cooler weather Vandas,like V. javierae and V.
hookeriana or Vanda christata. I know people in Central Florida who grow the
warm Masdevalias as well as Dracula lotax outside. My sister lives in New
Orleans and she keeps her giant Cymbidiums out on her porch all year. The
tourists used to take pictures of her orchids on the porch during their walking
tour of the Garden District. I could not get those things to flower at my house,
so she was the gift recipient. The only Cymbs. I can grow is anthing bred by
Milton Carpenter in Palm Beach Co.(Everglades Orchids).
After trial and error, I would say that you can experiment by tweaking their
growing conditions. For instance, you would think that Zygopetalum hybrids
(like Zygo. Titanic ) can't live in Central Florida, but if you give them a
nice breeze with a fan, they think that they are growing in their accustomed
intermediate climate.
Regards,
Nancy
----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com