Hi
 
I have been following the Oceoclades spathulata information request but did not comment because I don't know anything about this species.  However, I have subsequently received my latest AOS magazine and saw a nice photo of this plant featuring in the Madagascar article.
 
The photo looks exactly like Oeceoclades decaryana, which I grow and flower very successfully in Pretoria - South Africa.  Isn't Oeceoclades spathulifera perhaps a synonym for Oec. decaryana or vice versa?
 
The plant I have grows in a bark and rockwool mixture in fairly deep shade (>60%).  It is planted in a large flat ceramic pot and flowers every year during December (summer).  It is quite a slow grower and it took 5 years to establish before it started flowering.  One thing it dislikes is very low temperatures and soggy roots.  I keep the plant well-watered during summer and fairly dry in winter.  It seems as if a good day and night temperature differential also assists with initiating flower spikes.  For more info on growing Oeceoclades you can have a look at Joyce Stewart's book 'Orchids of Kenya'.
 
I whish Linda was here to paint my plant, which has a magnificent spike with about 25 flowers open at the moment.
 
Regards
 
Frikkie Marais
South Africa
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to