Peter O'Byrne who writes:

>"what is to stop me buying a "legal" flask or plant, then photocopying the sales receipt & passing,.....thus >legitimising their illegal plants ?"

Nothing!

1 INRENA supplied a single  CITES certificate  for 50 Pk flasks and 20 Pk hybrid flasks to Victor Manuel Arias for the WOC in Dijon France

2 Manolo Arias, issued a copy of this useless  CITES document to every purchaser of his Pk flasks in Dijon France

 3 Owners of illegal  Pk flask photocopied this now useful  “useless CITES document” to make their own illegal flasks as “legal” as Victor Manuel Arias’   flasks."

 4 Realizing the mistake, Manolo published a list of legal Pk flask owners on his Peruflora website

5 Manolo's Pk flasks sales then increased drastically, from less than 50 at Dijon, to several hundreds in a very short time.

CITES member countries like Peru and the USA joined CITES, helped put in place  CITES rules and then ignore them whenever it suits their own interests.

That just does not make any sense.