OK.....now, as I understand it, a few years ago some paphs appeared in the
trade, originally from Laos. These plants had blooms that were typical of
gratrixianum, but had very broad leaves, similar to a complex hybrid.
Apparently, there had always been a discrepancy in the original description
of gratrixianum....the original plant was described as having very broad
leaves, while the plants familiar to all of us have narrow leaves. It was
speculated that these plants with the broader leaves were of the original
type that were described as gratrixianum....Meanwhile, later plants that had
been described  as affine were considered invalid, due to the priority of
the name gratrixianum....however, the plants described as affinie had narrow
leaves...so, it was proposed in an article a few years ago (sorry....its
late and I'm tired and my memory, normally very good on useless information
has retired for the night shortly after my beer was finished....so I do not
recall the author or publication..actually, I think the publication was the
Orchid Digest...but I am too tired to claim reponsibility..) that the narrow
leaved plants are a separate species, that had been, and can now, be
properly called affine. I hope this made sense...I am sure that Guido must
be familiar with this case...and will be forgiving with my
interpretation.........Take care, Eric Muehlbauer in chilly Queens NY, where
winter has briefly reappeared.....


_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to