Carson E. Whitlow had a good rant, starting "Recently, a requested
CITES permit for salvaged plants was refused by the Canadian CITES
office because "we cannot allow you to profit from a plant that was
once wild."  Apparently, the Canadian CITES Administration is as
arragent and stupid as those administering the US CITES. .........."

Carson, we've covered this ground before. You know as well as I do
that there are two totally different types of salvage. In one of them,
you go onto the logging site (roadworks, whatever) just before or just
after the chainsaws (bulldozers, dumpsters, whatever) and rescue as
many orchids as you can from imminent destruction.

The second sort of "salvage" is typified by that guy from Kentuck who
was selling locally-collected Cypripediums on e-bay. He was driving
his quad around the backwoods, and since the plants were in danger of
getting run over by his vehicle, he dug them up in case they got
damaged. This guy reminded me of the time that a group of profiteers
flew to Sarawak with the intention of "rescuing" Paphiopedilums from a
mountainside which just happened to be several kilometers away from
the airport development project which they claimed was endangering
them.

Carson, I've got two questions for you:

1) How do you propose that the CITES guys differentiate between plants
that have really been salvaged and plants that have suffered
"gratuitous salvage" ?

2) Why does salvage have to be followed by export for profit, when
replanting them somewhere nearby is usually a more
environmentally-sound option ?

Peter O'Byrne
in Singapore