Carson, you said:

"CITES has a fairly straight-forward definition of "salvage."  In most
cases, letters of permission from land owners, or appropriate state
officials would provide the necessary supporting documents."

Sorry, but that is such a developed-world solution. It doesn't solve
anything in the third world (ie most of the orchid-rich world) because
the land-owner is often absent, or illiterate, or the land-ownership
is unclear or disputed, or the land is collectively-owned, eg by the
local villagers. Anyway, what is to stop the salvager from writing the
letter himself, or dictating the words to a professional letter-writer
in the nearest town ? Upshot: there is no-one to write the letter,
and/or any letter you produced would probably be worthless.

In most orchid-rich places I can think of, there are no "appropriate
state officials" to provide the necessary supporting documents. Unless
you were to provide an individual incentive, it is most unlikely that
any state official would risk his job by exceeding his authority.
Upshot: your desire to get the papers just increases the local
corruption levels.

Carson, you responded to my question "Why does salvage have to be
followed by export for profit, when replanting them somewhere nearby
is usually a more environmentally-sound option ?" with: "This question
is irrelevent.  No-one is implying that salvage has to be followed
with anything."

Actually Carson, you did. You started this by complaining that the
Canadian CITES officials refused to let some guy export salvaged
plants for his personal profit. Why don't you address my question, and
explain why the option you desire(export for profit) should be
permitted when replanting them somewhere nearby is usually a more
environmentally-sound option ?"

Thomas Hillson chipped in with the disingenuous:

"Then with the proper permits people can salvage the plants and the
plants be replanted into similar areas and allowed to continue to
provide beauty for all, and some people with proper permits can
salvage the plants and they can be taken to
nurseries and grown on and the progeny put into the commercial
market......This could be added to the CITES Treaty .... "

Tom, in most countries in the orchid-rich world you do not need a
permit to salvage plants and replant them locally, unless you were
thinking of doing this in a National Park, Forest Reserve, or other
gazetted locality. You do not need a permit to grow plants in
nurseries. You do not even need a permit for the progeny to be put
into the commercial market and exported, as long as they are in a
sterile flask at the time. Everything in your paragraph (above) can
already be done without a permit, so I guess you meant something else
.... are you sure you didn't omit to point out that your nurseries are
located in a foreign country ? That was just a little bit sneaky of
you.

Tom, you said "I feel that CITES is nothing more than an impediment in
the way of
Legal International Trade." Spot-on, boyo. That is EXACTLY what it was
intended to be, and that is EXACTLY what it is.... a definition of
your "Legal" and therefore a restriction on uncontrolled International
Trade. You are complaining that the leopard has got spots.

Finally, Tom, I'll comment on your sentence: "Most Countries would not
like other Countries telling them they can not mine where they want to
or they can not allow clear cutting of trees in certain areas ......
That is what needs to be added to the CITES Treaty to make it work."

I don't think that will make anything work. Most countries were
opposed to the invasion of Iraq, but the US went ahead and did it
anyway. Your country has signed the Geneva Convention, but you've
still got Guantanamo, secret prisons and torture-chambers. There is an
international treaty banning the use of land-mines, but the US still
plants huge numbers of them around the world each year. Since when did
any country do what other countries tell it to do, if it doesn't agree
?

Cheers,

Peter O'Byrne