|
After being away, I am catching up on the messages here. Last month I
offered a post responding to several unpleasant comments regarding orchid
judges, color blindness, and suggestions for mandatory termination of old
judges. I am not a senior citizen, but I found the age discrimination
especially disgusting.
My comments regarding color perception were flamed with this childish
statement in Vol. 8, Issue 288: "What got me to reply is the person that
said they talked to some AOS judges & was stating- as fact- that a
judge needs a written excuse from an eye doctor. THAT IS bunk!"
- There was no mention of a written “excuse." We are not talking
about little children who skip school and need written excuses from mommy or
daddy.
- The color dot cards are used and were mentioned to me by AOS judges as an acceptable option. I did not include them in my first post because the following items were also mentioned by the judges. - It seems that every judging center may not have convenient access to a set of the test cards, particularly newer judging centers. - The cards can become inaccurate over time due to fading or other color changes. For accuracy, the cards should be replaced periodically which may not been done by some of the centers. - To be accurate, the cards should be used at a specified distance and under specific lighting conditions. Variations in the lighting conditions (sunlight, cloudy, incandescent light, florescent light, light intensity, etc.) can affect the results. - IF a student applicant takes the card test at a judging center and does not pass, the applicant should consult an ophthalmologist or optometrist for a more accurate test. I was told that a statement of acceptable color perception from one of these professionals is considered valid (as it should be) and a prospective student can elect to do this from the start. Either the judges with whom I spoke or the one who posted the flame are (is) confused. I honestly do not care. This is the end of my comments on the topic. I will leave the silliness to others. Such childish arguments are a good indication of why humans are always fighting stupid wars around the planet. I am more interested in growing and enjoying my orchids. |
_______________________________________________ the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD) [email protected] http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

