I do well with them as long as I follow the rules..no leaves no water..HOWEVER..with some hybrids you get new growth started as the leaves fall..as long as you have inch or so long roots on the new growth you will have to continue watering..but sparsely..just enough for the new growth to prosper..with some items you will have to be sure that the total growths do not exceed three.  as the oldest growth will rot and infect the others..Cycnoches are famous for this..the hybrids do not seem to be affected that way..