In a message dated 2/14/07 11:25:22 PM, Lee writes:
> I will admit that I did not know that orchids are patented.
> 
All sorts of plants are patented. I don't know about other countries, but 
plants have been patented in the US for about 30 years. I assume US patents on 
plants are protected by international treaty like other patents. I believe a 
patent lasts 17 years. The most commonly patented type of plant in the US is 
roses. Daylilies are also patented. I believe the first patented US orchid was 
Blc. Pamela Hetherington. Don't remember the clone name, possibly 'Coronation.' 
Only an individual clone can be patented.
If a plant is patented, the plant cannot be propagated asexually (mericloned) 
and sold commercially without paying a royalty. This works with orchids & 
roses because so many varieties look almost alike. The practical effect with 
many 
pot plants is that the patented plant is sold with a wink or a nickname 
instead of a label. It only pays to patent a plant if a better one is not 
likely to 
be developed within the time limit of the patent.
Iris
_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to