In AOS Orchids magazine a few years ago there was an article about fragrance 
judging at a specific show in the US - I think it was New York.

Though fragrance is frequently mentioned in award descriptions, it is not an 
element of the judging criteria for AOS merit awards.  

The guidelines for the AOS Judges Commendation (JC) award allow for fragrance 
as the basis for this award.  IMHO, the JC is woefully underused for 
recognizing fragrance.  Most JCs cite color - a 'consolation prize' for plants 
with great color, but few, small, or poorly formed flowers.

The All Japan Orchid Society routinely includes fragrance competitions, but I 
am not well informed on their system.  The Japanese perfume house Shiseido 
annually releases a limited production fragrance based on an orchid - I think 
last year's was Paph. delenatii.  I have also smelled their Energizing perfume 
& found it reminiscent of Cym goeringii.  The Shiseido CEO is a noted orchidist.


I'm now a certified/accredited AOS judge and have been fascinated by orchid 
fragrances from the beginning.  About a year ago, I began actively studying 
perfumery to augment my orchid knowledge.  Frankly, there's not a lot available 
on orchid fragrance.  Roman Kaiser's book, The Fragrance of Orchids, is the one 
reference I've found.

I am very interested in hearing from others who have studied orchid fragrance!  
Off-list emails are invited.

Thanks VB for providing all of these links to orchidaceous articles!

David Janvrin



>**************
>Could you provide details about AOS fragrance judging (where / criteria / 
>prizes) ?
>
>**************
>Regards,
>
>VB
>


_______________________________________________
the OrchidGuide Digest (OGD)
[email protected]
http://orchidguide.com/mailman/listinfo/orchids_orchidguide.com

Reply via email to