Do not be misled by comments made previously regarding the possible problem
caused by moths to Hawaii shipments..in the first place..all and I mean
all...orchids from Hawaii are inspected heavily by the exporter before
shipping..each plant, generally, is placed in some sort of wrapping after
visual inspection...consider the fact that no one in the business that I know
has ever even seen one of these moths, much less in his greenhouse, and that
they would be ever so easy to see if they were floating around..and certainly
none would just sit on the plant waiting to be packed away and shipped...The
written and oral comments made by officials have made it clear that the problem
is not a big one..and as you might suspect..if the boxes WERE opened in , say
California, no one should expect that anything would be found to impound said
shippment...think about the chore of inspecting thousands of boxes of various
fruits, vegetables and flowers every day in every State...They certainly do not
have the resources here to do it in advance..and you might imagine the cost to
do it elsewhere..  Each of us has the right to certify his or her plants on
site...We are inspected twice a year for any problem areas...like coqui frogs
i.e.  and word is that there will be a special inspection of our local areas to
see just where any problem might lay....Bill Bergstrom