Ray B who said:

>I grow most of my potted plants in semi-hydroponics using
>clear-to-translucent pots, and since that is a constantly moist and
>nutritious environment, algae is a "fact of life".

I too grow some orchids in semi-hydroponics using diatomite and clear pots,
which make it easy to check the water level,
but will allow algae to grow all around the exposed side and top surfaces.
"Fact of life" is correct.

However, since I have set the clear pots inside a slightly larger  green flower
pot , I have totally eliminated algae from the pot
side and only get a few  spots  of algae on the top surface. Algae is no longer
a problem and there is no need to spray.

peter

.