In a message dated 10/14/2007 3:02:21 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  Nancy
writes:

"but I  still have
something that appears to be lichen creeping over a
lot of  the wood.
Any suggestions on an attack for this? I can scrape
off the  ruffled edges, but the flat parts are just too
smooth, and I'd like to kill  off whatever spores are
causing this growth. Not unattractive, but  still...
Regards - Nancy"
Nancy:

I grow my plants  outdoors in coastal California (and this may not translate
to the deep South),  and have had lichen growing on a number of the Orchids
and Bromeliads I keep  mounted on Cork. Over the years I have found that the
conditions favoring lichen  growth also seem to favor the Orchids and
Bromeliads.
There seems to be no  conflict between the two as there would be with algae,
fungus, some  mosses, and liverworts. If what you have is liverworts (they
look sort of  like lichen, but are darker green and slimy), than excessive
humidity and  moisture is certainly a problem. Other than drying things out
more and
reducing  fertilizer application I am not sure how you would control them.
There are  chemicals, but they do not seem to be indicated for use on  orchids.

Dennis