Wagner Vendrame and coworkers at the University of Florida in Homestead
http://trec.ifas.ufl.edu/vendrame/index.htm
are doing research on cryopreservation of orchid seed and pollen at liquid
nitrogen temperatures.  They have recently published some papers on these
topics:

Vendrame, W.A., V.S. Carvalho, J.M.M. Dias, and I. Maguire.  2008.  Pollination
of Dendrobium Hybrids using Cryopreserved Pollen, HortScience 43(1): 264-267 .

Vendrame, W.A., V.S. Carvalho, I. Maguire and J.M.M. Dias.  2007.  In vitro
germination and plant regeneration of cryopreserved Dendrobium hybrid mature
seeds, Scientia Horticulturae 114:188-193.

I recently sent them a large batch of Stanhopea seed, which has notoriously
short viability under typical storage conditions.  They are trying various
storage techniques to see if Stanhopeinae are amenable to storage under liquid
nitrogen conditions.

It seems to me that any serious seed banking effort needs to move towards this
type of technology, rather than storing seeds at 4 C.  If seeds can tolerate
the cryopreservation/thawing proceedures, storage at liquid nitrogen
temperatures renders the seed essentially immortal,  with little or no loss in
viability.  And since orchid seeds are so small, they are relatively
cost-effective to store in liquid nitrogen relative to other plants with larger
seeds.

Mark Whitten
Florida Museum of Natural History