I agree with Oliver,
Kocide is right up there with Bordeaux Mixture in both toxicity (copper again )
and Effectiveness (not very compared to newer Strobilurins) (sp)?
-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Sparrow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 04:49 AM
To: orchids@orchidguide.com
Subject: Re: [OGD] Kocide

I have no desire to break anyone's lunch bowl. However, I was the product
manager for Kocide when I was a graduate trainee in Shell (which had the
overseas franchise for the product at the time.) This gives a certain insight
into the product. It is used on and intended to be used on mature tree crops,
mostly in third world countries: we sold to the cacao plantations in Ghana,
various banana plantations and into coffee. It is a cheap and not very
effective preventative of spore germination and hypha propagation in mildews,
and works only if the leaf surface is extensively coated. It is of course a
copper product, and it leaves a residue of insoluble copper oxides (etcetera as
these react) in the soil / potting medium / support. These residues will
increase with application, without limit. They will tend to kill 'helpful'
fungi that orchids (and others) need to extract nutrients, and they are toxic
to meristems (foci of freshly dividing cells), such as root caps. Kocide is
probably fifty years old. There are now much better fungicides available. It is
not legal for anyone without formal qualifications to offer advice about
pesticides in some US states, so I will not do this. This text may not be used
to imply acceptance of liability on the part of the author in respect of any
action which the reader may take as a result having read it, which action or
actions are made entirely at their own risk. That said, some orchid growers use
propiconazole, which is a systemic triazole fungicide that is sold as Banner,
Benit, Desmel, Orbit, Radar, Tilt, Fidis, Alamo, Spire, Practis, Bumper,
Mantis, Restore, Banner Maxx, Taspa, Juno, Novel and Break.