"ANOTHER field has been bought by La Societe Guernesiaise at Rue des
Salines, St Peter’s.

It brings the number of meadows owned, leased or managed by the group at
the Bridget Ozanne Orchid Fields up to 14.

La Societe paid £21,000 for the field and reserves committee chairman Jane
Gilmour said the plan was to manage the new area as another wet meadow.

‘We already owned 11 fields in the area and manage another two and all but
one of them are looked after as wet meadows.
‘But this new one is in need of some tender loving care before we can
really start doing that.
‘It’s all a little too overgrown at the moment.’

Miss Gilmour said the purchase followed policy because it was an area of
high biodiversity, was of great importance and was adjacent to land that
the organisation already owned.

La Societe started buying fields in and around Rue des Salines and Rue des
Vicheries in 1978.

She hoped the new field would develop in the same way as the others around
it have.
‘Some of the fields were superb anyway and others are improving
considerably over time because they are being consistently managed.
‘In the best field, there are something like 60 species'   "

Regards,

VB