Dear OGD Readers,

I have recently (in the last 7 months) begun to live my dream of being a
full time orchid flasker. Having dallied in the past with home-brew
equipment, I have built my own lab and with professional grade equipment
and am pleased with my success thus far. My best success story is saving
a batch of besseae flavum from sure death in flasks I received from
another lab in the hopes of bringing them back for my customer who has
been waiting for flasks of this species to offer his customers for
nearly a decade. I took a chance and transferred them to some media from
the UK. Within just 3 weeks, I could see a difference. Instead of the
yellowing and browning they were in the process of doing, they greened
up and even started to grow. Some began proliferating (a good thing in
my book) and others  started producing beautiful white-tipped, fuzzy
roots.  They have since been replated onto more of this magic formula
and are on their way towards becoming beautiful, healthy, individual plants.

I have also received mother flasks needing work that are (were) full of
loose protocorms. The media underneath (which only the bottom layer had
any contact with) was shrinking and nearly dry. The protocorms were
still green but have not "jumped to life" after replating as other
protocorms have done. Conversely, I have replated freshly germinated
protocorms that literally did just that, "jump to life." I later
replated protocorms from the same mother flask and have not seen the
same vigor. They are still growing, but just not as fast. I am beginning
to wonder if there isn't a magic sweet spot in the life cycle of a
protocorm when it is perfect for replating for total optimum growth and
that to let them go beyond that means slower growth later on.

An analogy I suppose would be similar to the timing of orchid repotting.
You would refrain from general repotting in the winter,  opting instead
for the accelerated growth in the spring to jumpstart the plants into
establishing themselves in new media all summer before decelerated
growth in the fall and winter.

I know some of you who are more enlightened than I can shed some of that
light on this subject. I would be interested in the theoretical as well
as practical analysis of this phenomenon.

Thank You.

Barbara
Always Orchids Lab