.
>Go to the Canadian Orchid Congress site (www.canadianorchidcongress.ca
><http://www.canadianorchidcongress.ca/>  import) and see the excellent
>summary by Marilyn Light for importation. People slip through with the 50
>plants houseplants exemption when they hand carry them---mail or courier is
>different. But even with that, you still should have CITES. The exemption is
>really only for the phyto certificate. But many people get through. But it
>is no guarantee.

I hate to disappoint you Jean, but the COC summary by Marilyn Light,  which you
call excellent, is at least 4 years old.  It still lists as Appendix I species:
Cattleya trianaei and  Vanda coerulea,  both were  moved from App. I to App.
II. (C. trianaei was moved after the CITES CoP 13 in 2004) Also, Marilyn's
summary does not list as  App I  species Aerangis ellisii.

Using someone's summary chart is wise, for it  saves many hours of  research
and reading through boring government directives. However, no matter who's
summary chart you use, always verify the  information first hand from the
on-line Government Documents.

Peter