Peter,

I do appreciate you weighing in. Personally, I am happy it has bloomed
again and that the public here in NY can have the opportunity to
actually see this remarkable plant. As a botanic garden, education is a
large part of our mission and we always really do our best to
disseminate factual info, but the problem with any kind of media
coverage of anything is that information can get skewed very easily and
once it is "out there" it then becomes fact. Reporters and media folks
have expertise at reaching out to the public not necessarily about
orchids or any other subject for that matter. With the internet and our
ability to Google anything, right and wrong information gets propagated
easily and widely. The result is that the same articles, stories and
statements get repeated so often, they must be true.

I have seen the great specimen Grammatophyllums at the Singapore Botanic
Garden and Mandai and the amazing efforts of the Parks Board to get this
species back out into the daily landscape. For anyone who has not been
there, Singapore has very successfully brought many of their native
plants back into the focus and access of the community. G. speciosum is
not rare there, but it is not a common greenhouse orchid in temperate
climates-it gets too big. Until the last five years or so it was hard to
find any commercial growers that even offered seedlings or plants for
sale that those of us in the US were able to access. When I bought this
plant ten years ago I was thrilled at the chance. As for the printed
statement, "few people or institutions can afford to grow it", what I
told the reporter is that it is uncommon in cultivation here because few
people or institutions can afford to give it the space that it requires.

In the grand scheme of things it is fun to be able to introduce NY city
dwellers to this amazing orchid species when hybrid Phals are their
reference; as well as the idea that an orchid can compel masses of
people to come out to a botanic garden to see it. For that, I am willing
to put up with a little annoying...inaccuracy.

Cheers,

Dave Horak

Message: 1