Paul,
I have had impressive results using the product KeikiPro which contains
two plant hormones for use specifically on orchids. It has 'rescued'
some of my orchids which appear to have lost all their roots but still
have their leaves. Using just a drop directly from the bottle in the
area where roots should emerge 'wakes up' the orchid. When it works on
an orchid it is noticeable within a few days. In some cases it prompts a
keiki/new growth from the root area. It has also stimulated a leafless
orchid which still has roots, i.e. a phal which has suffered crown rot,
to sprout new leaves. On orchids that are not in distress of course they
should be be producing a nice balance of roots and leaves. However a
diluted solution of KeikiPro can be sprayed over the entire plant, best
just once per year or growing season. The increased growth from root to
foliage and the production of inflorescences is very noticeable.
Another way to promote roots is to suppress blooming. Phal growers keep
temps at 83*F (28C) or more to inhibit blooming and grow better roots
and foliage. Its hard to do but one could also pinch/remove
inflorescences... Ha!
I have less experience with rooting powders which I take it are
generally intended for rooting any plant. I too would like to hear of
others experience with measures to promote more and healthy roots.
Lee in So. Carolina

Lee Bredeson
www.classicorchid.com
(Selling most of my private collection)