In a message dated 9/21/08 6:00:29 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Kathy  Barrett
writes:

"What's the purpose of the raised 'hooks' on the lips?  At first I  thought
they encouraged at pollinator to come in to the center, but then I  realized
they were pointing in the 'wrong' direction, keeping insects out.   Are they
sticky, to trap insects at the column?  Or have nectar on them as  an
attractant?
 Any discussion would be interesting."

Judging from the close up pictures of two of the Arachnorchis,  the flower
appears to be offering pseudopollen in the form of yellow masses at  the base
of
the lip. The curved "hooks" might serve to position the insect so it  picks
up pollinia as it backs out of the flower. Or perhaps irritates it so  it jumps
up into the column ;-). They might also be directional signals under UV
light, or produce fragrance.

Just speculation on my part. Though pseudopollen is a common  attractant in
orchids (like in some Cymbidiums, Laelias, Coelogynes, and  Pleiones) , it
usually is closer to the middle of the lip the  base.

Dennis

One Additional thing on a totally different subject. I  recently saw a cute
Paph labeled as P. vejuarutianum. it looks to me like a  natural (or primary)
hybrid with charlesworthii in it. Googling it was  worthless. Anyone know
anything about this  plant?