Quote:

>Machu Picchu... cerca de 30 g?neros y 200 especies...
>la extinci?n amenaza a...

etcetera. One interesting news clipping that I picked up in Lima last month
was the following. A detailed study was done on the orchid flora in seven of
the relatively level hectares surrounding the M Picchu site, which is of
course one of the most visited and most studied places in the entire Andes.
Unhappily I have lost the clipping itself, but the burden of it was the
following: that the investigators identified around 270 species, of which no
less than seven were new. That is, more than one in forty were new to science,
in a place with nearly one million visitors per annum. Twenty miles away, the
same river that flows past the Picchus breaks a mountain range to enter the
lowland jungle, at the Pongo de Manique. This is supposed to be one of the
most biodiverse regions on earth. Quilabamba, at one end of the Manique caƱon,
gets about 20 foreign visitors every year.  Who knows what may lurk there?

Oliver Sparrow
+44 (0)1628 823187
www.chforum.org