"Watermelon farmer Ariffin Ibrahim...
Grammatophyllum speciosum... at his house in Kampung Telaga Papan... bloomed...

has yellow petals which are peppered with blots of brown, resembling the tiger's skin...

The species, which he planted seven years ago, normally blooms around this time every year...

The orchid is the largest in the world...
a metre-long stalk, each carrying more than 100 blooms.

The species used to be common in Terengganu, but over-collection and land clearing for development in the early 1990s threaten its existence.
gardening is a hobby for Ariffin...
he has been offered large sums of money by enthusiasts for the orchids.
"... I won't sell them. I love them too much and it is difficult to find such orchids these days." "

Regards,

VB