Alternatives to large PS files -- Technical illustrator apps (I use Canvas) are great at mixing images and texts. The images are simple and can be low res for small file size.

Try to keep the images as vector objects, NOT bit maps.

Hell, Word could produce something like this. Just keep the images small -- small as in file size.

Mac Sloan