Hope folks are having a good fall!
I'm writing about a question regarding family dances and linking them more
Here in Ottawa, we have four family dances a year... 3-530pm with a potluck
after. They're always on the same day as an evening contra which starts at
730pm with a beginner lesson, dance from 8-10pm. There's not much overlap
in audiences and we'd like to have some of the families with the younger
and middle aged kids, naturally flow into the contra dances while
maintaining our awesome contra dance vibe (not feel overly family dance).
We're looking to learn from others on how they might have a better link
between the two.
I know Belfast does a great job and Syracuse also has Family dances rolling
If you do this, might you be willing to share some info?
Things I'm wondering about include...
1. What is the timing of the different parts of the dance(s)
2. Is there food/potluck/? involved?
3. How does the transition happen between family and contra?
4. Do younger kids stick around and not dance when contra starts? If so
where are they and what are they doing?
5. Anyone have a play space for younger kids in the evenings?
6. What do you do in terms of callers/bands for the family and contra
7. Other things you feel are important details/considerations?
Maybe you have a totally different model...
With much thanks!
Organizers mailing list