To answer the question about dance timing, we have a weekday dance which used
to be 8 to 11, but since it is a Wednesday dance we noticed that numbers near
the end of the night were getting pretty anemic.  Lots of people left at the
break and even more during the course of the 2nd half so that even on evenings
with good attendance, the last few dances of the evening were very small.
To get people to stay until the end, we then attempted a 7:30 to 10:30 dance.
And people were indeed more willing to stay to the end, BUT it's still the
weekday and now the problem was at the beginning as 7:30 was challenging to get
to.  We noticed that people didn't really start arriving until 8 or shortly
after 8 for most dances, and it was hard to get the dance going.

Finally we settled for 8 to 10:30, cutting a half hour from the dance.  This
has presented its own issues as we break at 9:30 as if it were a 3-hour dance,
but then we have a 3-dance 2nd half and we do have the mass exodus at the break
anyway, but it's still a decent attendance.  I toy with maybe having equal
halves, thinking that dancers would stay on for the 2nd half because they did
not get enough in the 1st half, but I've been advised against that.

As for the connecting family dances with contra, we have done that at one of
our local dances.  Pretty short family dance (about 90 minutes), potluck in
between, and many families do leave before the evening contra dance, but a few
stay on.  I think we try to make the dances easy at the start but even so they
are challenges for kids who don't understand the structured dances.

You are right that we have lost the community aspect of our contra dances, but
it's quite challenging integrating children in our dances.  Many kids can
contra dance and do it well, but most prefer to run around and dance without
structure.
Perry