In Rochester NY, at our weekly Thursday Contra and Sunday English dances,
we use the honor system. The cashbox is at the door inside the hall, where
everyone can see who is at it.
They are small-ish dances, about 50-60 people on average, and mostly regulars.
We speak to all new dancers at the break and give a "next-time-free" pass,
and use this as an opportunity to remind them to "pay this time."

We have a few different prices, for members, students, young kids, and an
annual pass option,
so estimating what should be there is tricky. It usually works out when I
eyeball it.

Bob Fabinski