From the Lenox Contra Dance, Lenox, MA

We went through a fairly dramatic period several years ago. After years of
strong attendance, 100+ generally, we started dipping well below break even and
watched our built up cash begin to evaporate, pretty fast. At the same time the
beautiful hall we rent (Lenox Community Center) told us our rent was going to
go from $175 to $275 in one jump. We offered them $240, which they accepted for
a six-month period, but it hasn’t changed now in three years. Whew!

But we did several things to protect the dance. First off, we told our
community through several means, of our dire situation. And then we offered
“Sustaining Memberships,” which, at the time, was a very apt name. No discount
to speak of, just a year’s dances all up front. The response was great, with
about 28 people signing on. It gave us enough cash to feel like we could
continue to book in the future. And several people who did pay for a membership
contributed substantially more, to the tune of nearly $1,000 on top of the
memberships.

One other change we made, at the advice of one of our more experienced callers,
was that we have stopped sharing any excess gate with the performers. We’ve
provided a guarantee for years, but when there was really strong attendance we
had a formula to share some of that with the performers. But this caller said
that bands are quite satisfied with the guarantee, and if they have the
perception that the dance is struggling, they generally don’t want to add to
the strain. A very successful evening for a struggling dance serious should
accrue to the dance to help it survive.

And we raised the entry to $12/$6.

Those two actions, and more active marketing, and the attendance rose again.
We’ve kept admission to the $12/$6 because we’ve been told that the community
center board is looking seriously at raising the rentals. Easier to hold at a
level that people aren’t complaining about than to drop it back down to $10 and
find ourselves needing to raise it again. We do feel like we are still under
the gun on rent, but we have rebuilt our reserves such that we’d have a good
deal of time to decide what to do.

We have kept a "second dance free" offer, which are redeemed occasionally.

And we’ve kept the Sustaining Memberships, but now discounted by paying for 10
dances for the 12 we have every year. Mostly we’ve kept it because folks just
find it convenient to not have to pay, and they do want to provide the regular
support. We hold that fund in a separate line account, and move 1/12th of it to
the monthly dance as it occurs, so that by the end of the December dance the
fund is zeroed out.

We are in a fairly local market… we don’t have many dancers who travel long
distances, so we really have to rely on our local dancers who have only a few
other options each month.

Stephen Moore
Lenox (MA) Contra Dance

> On Dec 14, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Emily Addison via Organizers
> <organizers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
> Hi fellow Shared Weight members,
>
> I'm back wearing my CDSS hat this morning with a question that overlaps
> somewhat with the ideas that were shared last week.  (I expect that I will be
> VERY quiet after this question given that there are so many ideas to pull
> together.)
>
> ANYWAY: HERE IS THE QUESTION.... ....
>
> What door pricing model do you use for your events (i.e., what do you charge
> participants)?  Does your group do something innovative/creative that works
> well for your context?
>
> There has been a lot of recent discussion on the use sliding scale. I'm
> hoping to capture how this can be effectively implement. However, there are
> also many other innovative ideas such as group/family pricing,
> pay-it-forward, free dance after so many paid, etc....
>
> If you have a model you'd like to share, please include a few ideas on why
> you think the model works well. For instance:
> --->Do you have effective signage explaining the pricing model? If so… what
> does it look like?
> --->What do the door volunteers say to make your pricing successful? (If you
> have door volunteers)
> ---> How have you explained the pricing (e.g., on-mic announcements; email;
> website) to your community? Do you connect it to your broader financial
> goals?  If you are committed to being transparent about your organization’s
> finances, how do you do that?
> ---?What/how do you communicate to first time attendees? (There's a lot to
> taken in when you're brand new walking in the door!)
>
> If you have ideas you think would benefit other dance, music, and/or song
> communities, please either share them back onto the list or you can email me
> directly (em...@cdss.org <mailto:em...@cdss.org>).  (If you share on the
> list, they have the potential to help others immediately.)   It may take me a
> few days but I'll definitely  follow up  with you.  Then, once I have a
> completed draft of the resource, I will circulate it among all contributors
> before it is finalized and made public.
>
> With thanks!
> Emily
> PS -> I will also be posting this question on the ECD and Pourparler lists to
> gather ideas from organizers involved in other traditions. Apologies if you
> see the message more than once.

Stephen Moore
P.O. Box 38
Monterey, MA 01245