On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 4:19 PM Emily Addison <emilyladdi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe the solution is to delete the previous content then rather than start a
> new thread.

That is much better, yes.

> Or maybe there are other solutions to address the interests of those with
> gmail threads vs digest versions?

The problem is that there are two technical cultures interacting here:

a) Old-style truncation culture.  Trim responses to just the part you
intend to reply to.  This is compatible with simple digests, and with
email clients that don't know how to hide quoted sections.  This is
what old mail clients used to push people towards: mutt, pine, etc.

b) New-style no-truncation culture.  Just type your reply, all earlier
stuff will be included as quotes.  This is painful in simple digests
unless you have an email client that knows how to hide quoted sections
in digests.  This is what all nearly all current email clients push
people towards: gmail, outlook, apple mail, etc.

My post here is an example of (a), Alex's is an example of (b).  I
used to be a strong adherent of (a), but have realized that this isn't
a battle I'm going to win, and constantly fighting tools designed for
(b) is too hard.  I gave up on this in ~2013
(https://www.jefftk.com/p/abandoning-bottom-posting) and always use
(b) now, unless I'm in a situation like this one.

I see a few ways forward:

1. Decide to enforce (a).  Configure the email list software to reject
any messages containing "To unsubscribe send an email to
organizers-le...@lists.sharedweight.net" because "does this message
contain the list footer" is a strong heuristic for "has this message
not been trimmed".

2. Decide to allow (b).  Digests won't be very readable by default.
People who currently use digest mode switch to non-digest mode and
configure their email clients to group messages from this list, or
switch to email clients that can identify and collapse quoted
sections.

3. Decide to allow (b) and make the digester smarter.  Make the digest
notice top posting and remove the quoted messages from the digest.
This is pretty simple technically, but I'm not sure if anyone wants to
work on the digester to fix it?  It's open source.

4. Do nothing.  People in (b) will keep not truncating and digests
will often be unreadable.  This is basically the same as (2).

We should also keep in mind that (a) and (b) mostly represent
different age groups, and that people who are unhappy are likely to
leave and talk elsewhere.  For example, I mostly use FB instead of
mailing lists at this point, and if we switched to (1) I think many
people in my cohort (not me, since I used to be an (a) person) would
just not post.

Jeff