This is a question for traditional music/dance organizations around definitions
and inclusion--

The DanceFlurry Board is beginning an examination of the types of music and
dance forms that fall under our mandate of "supporting traditional music and
dance from diverse cultures," with a specific eye to questions of including
20th century African-American forms such as Soul, Funk, and street dance under
that umbrella. Some of this music is already included at our swing dances, and
featured at our annual Albany Lindy and Blues event
(http://www.albanylindyandblues.com). As we consider whether we want to engage
in additional programming, collaborations, or outreach around these styles, we
find ourselves contemplating the meaning of "traditional," and asking whether
our goals of sharing and preserving traditional music and dance should be
intentionally broadened to include forms less prominent in our predominantly
White dance community.

I would love to hear from any communities or organizations that have addressed
these kinds of questions themselves, and might have thoughts, experiences,
resources, or other information to offer. We are thinking of engaging a scholar
of African-American music to educate our Board on the evolution of these forms,
and are looking for other ideas on how to approach the question of which music
and dance types we want to actively support through our organization, as well
as other local organizations (NY) we might look to partner with.

If you have any ideas for us, please email me at sl...@danceflurry.org

Many thanks!
Shira