I have to unsubscribe from this list because each post triggers painful
memories of my story in Asheville.
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aSw4Ntjv_DrPJrhV4NvHyLdln7Pa7ilOpJGSKwLARYE/edit?usp=sharing>

But I retain a strong affection for this scene. So, as I leave, I offer
this perspective:

Waves of woke social violence happen more and more often lately.  But it is
not the angry social-media-driven mob that ruins someone’s life. That’s
just high-school, mean-girl behavior.

What ruins someone’s life, and exacerbates conflict, is being formally
banned by an organizing committee that does not have the ability to stand
up to the mob and say, “No, this is wrong.“  You, as an organizer, will be
in this situation.  You too may find it difficult to stand up and say No.

You might instead say, as your policy:
“We only do three things here:

   - We book the hall.
   - We hire the talent.
   - We count the money.

That’s it.  If there’s conflict on the floor, we don’t care. We’re not your
mommy.  It is your job to be kind to each other. It’s not our job to
enforce that. We’re not your mommy. “

So that’s my idea. Who knows if that would work. But a volunteer board that
takes on the responsibility of managing the behavior of 300 people will
probably do more harm than good.

I will add that *you* will be the next target of this.  *You*, the good
hearted, enthusiastic, believer in dance community, whose years of work
have given you high status. There’s no fun in  cancelling a nobody. *You* will
be targeted. You will watch with stunned amazement as your community
evaporates around you.

I know you’re all doing your best, and I wish you good luck in these
increasingly difficult times.
Feel free to reconnect with me off-list if you wish.
Goodbye.