Hi Folders,

As we had talked much about copyright and ownership, I am suggesting a specific
detail I am curious about. I am not aware if there is a sound definition of the
term – Traditional. I think this is important to discuss and may make it easier
to know what is common ground for usage.

>From my understanding, a Traditional Model is - An origami piece not
>associated with any particular designer, is free to teach, diagram,
>distribute, or reproduce in another way, and can be used to make profit.

I am wondering if a creative designer like Nathan Ascher who just likes to play
with paper and notices “this looks like…” and then does not claim the rights to
the model, can make the piece become a tradition model? Nathan and I designed a
model called the “Knotted Cat” at OUSA Convention late night folding, I believe
in 2009, and gave me blanket permission for my use. I had folded it and he had
recognized it as a cat. If I had folded it and left it there not thinking much
of it and it became recognized as an official model, because some stranger
reverse engineered it and taught it, could that become traditional?

In Storigami some steps may be in a similar position of forming a new model.

I would love some discussion and hope something good comes of this!

Lisa B. Corfman

Rocky Arts Unfolds: RA-U (Owner – Founder)

lbcorf...@comcast.net

C: (617) 308-2573